1 a contented state of being happy and healthy and prosperous; "the town was finally on the upbeat after our recent troubles" [syn: wellbeing, well-being, welfare, eudaemonia, eudaimonia] [ant: ill-being]
2 an unaccented beat (especially the last beat of a measure)
EtymologyFrom up + beat.
Upbeat (Ger. Auftakt).
1. An unaccented beat or beats that occur before the first beat of a following measure. Also called anacrusis or pickup. In other words, this is an impulse in a measured rhythm that immediately precedes, and hence anticipates, the downbeat, which is the strongest of such impulses. It can be the last beat in a bar where that bar precedes a new bar of music.
2. An anticipatory note or succession of notes occurring before the first barline of a piece, sometimes referred to as an ‘upbeat figure’, section or phrase. An alternative expression for "upbeat figure" is "anacrusis" (from Greek. ana: "up towards" and krousis: "to strike"; Fr. anacrouse). This term was borrowed from poetry where it refers to one or more unstressed extrametrical syllables at the beginning of a line.
3. The upward stroke made by a conductor to indicate the beat that leads into a new measure.
ExampleBeginning of BWV736, with anacrusis in red.
- J.-J. Momigny: La seule vraie théorie de la musique (Paris, 1821/R)
- H. Riemann: Musikalische Dynamik und Agogik (Hamburg, 1884)
- M. Lussy: L’anacrouse dans la musique moderne (Paris, 1903)
- E. T. Cone: Musical Form and Musical Performance (New York, 1968)
upbeat in Catalan: Anacrusi
upbeat in German: Auftakt
upbeat in Spanish: Anacrusa
upbeat in French: Anacrouse
upbeat in Italian: Anacrusi
upbeat in Japanese: 弱起
upbeat in Dutch: Opmaat
upbeat in Polish: Przedtakt
upbeat in Portuguese: Anacruse
upbeat in Russian: Затакт
Great Leap Forward, Leibnizian, advance, advancement, amelioration, amendment, arsis, ascent, bar beat, beat, bettering, betterment, boost, bout, bright, buoyant, cheerful, chiliastic, circle, circuit, couleur de rose, course, cycle, diastole, downbeat, encouraging, enhancement, enrichment, eugenics, euthenics, favorable, fond, furtherance, headway, heartening, improvement, lift, light-hearted, melioration, mend, mending, millenarian, millennialistic, offbeat, optimistic, perfectibilitarian, perfectionist, pickup, positive, preferment, progress, progression, promotion, pulsation, pulse, recovery, restoration, revival, revolution, rise, rose-colored, roseate, rosy, rotation, round, sanguine, series, spell, sunny, systole, thesis, throb, turn, uplift, upping, upswing, uptrend, upward mobility, utopian, wheel